Re: Purging Alsa -> invoke-rc.d: initscript alsa, action "stop" failed.

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 05:54:48PM +0100, Niels L. Ellegaard wrote:

> I have messed up my ALSA installation, and now I cannot remove the package.
>
> Some time ago I was compiling my kernels myself, and i think that I
> tried to install alsa without much luck, so there may be some old
> config files floating around in my system.
>
> What can I do to solve my problems?
>
> What should I read to understand them better?
>
>                        Thanks in advance
>
>                                 Niels
>
> nissefisken# apt-get remove alsa-modules-2.4.22-1-386
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   alsa-modules-2.4.22-1-386
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 22 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives.
> After unpacking 2879kB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
> (Reading database ... 269782 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing alsa-modules-2.4.22-1-386 ...
> Storing ALSA mixer settings ... failed
> Shutting down ALSA (version 0.9.6): aborting. (sound used by PIDs 702
> 849)
> invoke-rc.d: initscript alsa, action "stop" failed.
> dpkg: error processing alsa-modules-2.4.22-1-386 (--remove):
>  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
>  alsa-modules-2.4.22-1-386

Hi Niels,
You can see what script is failing by looking in
/var/lib/dpkg/info/<package>.*
Although, it seems that the prerm (pre-remove) script is trying to shut
down alsa by running /etc/init.d/alsa stop (may no be correct name). So,
you may need to do a workaround by putting a 'exit 0' at the top of the
script. This should allow you to run the scripts with out error.
you can also try to run dpkg with 'debug' options (man dpkg)

-Kev