Re: Cannot Open Root Device - Was: Unidentified subject!

Hello

JAMES MERRITT (<jamesem@email.com>) wrote:

> I tried typing linux root=/dev/hdb1 at the lilo prompt and it says
> something about that not being one of the choices.

Try "Linux root=/dev/hdb1" (note the capital letter).

> The lilo menu I see is:
> Linux WinNT (hda1)
> WinNT or DOS (hdb6) <- This is not a valid bootable disk, I don't know
> why it is there.

Because during the installation, you were asked if you wanted to include
other partitions. So the partition was added. You can remove it if you
want.

> Then I tried booting from my original install disk1 and it just takes
> me right into the Debian install menu.  Is there something I can do
> from there?

Right at the beginning, before you pressed <ENTER> the first time, there
is a screen with some help message. Read it. Instead of pressing
<ENTER>, type

rescbf24 root=/dev/hdb1

And please only quote the parts of the message you are referring to, not
simply everything.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--