Module loading

Hi, how do we load modules at boot-time on debian? when i look at modules.conf, it says that I shouldnt edit it, and to use modconf and look at update-modules. also there are some files in /etc/modutils and is this where I should add the module specific lines? I'm trying to have 'snd-intel8x0' up after boot, and right now I "modprobe snd-intel8x0". how can i get this done while the other modules are brought up? There is an "alsa" file in /etc/modutils which has a line "alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0".

thanks.