Re: Catches in upgrading to backports.org kernel?

Joel Konkle-Parker <jjk3@msstate.edu> writes:

> I'm considering adding a 2.4.24 kernel from backports.org to my pure
> Woody system to get support for my multitude of peripherals and such.
>
> Are there any catches that I should look out for before I go for it?
>
> I noticed that this will also update my initrd package. Is this safe?

If you're comfortable with recovering from the usual ways kernel
installs go wrong ("forgot to run LILO", for example) this should be
pretty harmless.  Kernels are an exception to the normal way Debian
packages work in that you can have multiple versions installed in
parallel and, so long as your boot loader deals, they all work fine.
You may want to install the most recent kernel-image-2.4.18 out of
stable, just to be safe and have a backup around.

	-- Abra Mitchell