Re: Catches in upgrading to backports.org kernel?

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 10:04:14AM -0600, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
> I'm considering adding a 2.4.24 kernel from backports.org to my pure
> Woody system to get support for my multitude of peripherals and such.
>
> Are there any catches that I should look out for before I go for it?

You can download the "pure Debian" kernel-source package, and AIUI the image
too, from unstable, and dpkg -i it straight in to a standard woody system
without running into any dependency problems.

> I noticed that this will also update my initrd package. Is this safe?

Never used an initrd myself but if you do it "the Debian way" (ie. use
make-kpkg if you're building from source, and dpkg -i the resulting package)
you should be OK. Just make sure to keep your old kernel around in case of
problems.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons