Installing Kernel problems

I've just compiled a kernel so that I could use my wireless card, now
that I try and install it I'm running in to some problems.

Here what I've done during the install.

Do you wish to set up Linux to boot from the hard disk? [Yes] y
Install a partition boot block on partition /dev/hda5? [Yes] n

A master boot record is required to run the partition boot record.
However, you do not have /boot/mbr.b, a common location of a
backup copy of the mbr.  I hope that your master boot record or
boot manager does boot the active partition.  If not, you have
to acquire the package mbr and install it. Please hit return to
proceed.

The master boot record will boot the active partition.
If you want your system to boot another operating system,
such as DOS or Windows, by default, answer "no" to the following
question. You may still use your boot manager or the master
boot record to boot Linux. If you want the system to boot Linux.
by default, answer "yes".
Make /dev/hda5 the active partition? [Yes]
5: not a valid partition number (1-4)
There was an error trying to activate /dev/hda5.
Please run "/sbin/activate /dev/hda 5"
by hand. Please hit return to proceed.
==================================

Here is the filesystem

fork:/usr/src# mount
/dev/hda5 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /home type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda8 on /tmp type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda9 on /var type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda10 on /usr type ext2 (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
fork:/usr/src#

I have also tried installing the boot block on hda5
Install a partition boot block on partition /dev/hda5? [Yes] y

But I still get a load of errors
The master boot record will boot the active partition.
If you want your system to boot another operating system,
such as DOS or Windows, by default, answer "no" to the following
question. You may still use your boot manager or the master
boot record to boot Linux. If you want the system to boot Linux.
by default, answer "yes".
Make /dev/hda5 the active partition? [Yes] y
5: not a valid partition number (1-4)
There was an error trying to activate /dev/hda5.
Please run "/sbin/activate /dev/hda 5"
by hand. Please hit return to proceed.

It all seam to be going wrong to me. This is my first adventure into
playing with kernels so I'm not to sure what I'm doing.
Please could some one help as it has left my machine unbootable.

Thank for any help that you can pass my way.
Regards
James