trouble with inn2, ssl, and authentication

I've been having a lot of trouble getting inn2 to behave as I wish. so
far the docs and the web haven't been as forthcoming as I'd
like. Perhaps someone here has dealt with this before...

I've got inn2-2.4.1-1 installed, and it seems to completely ignore any
sort of auth. I'd really like to require a password, but nnrpd just
won't request one. I've tried auth and perl_auth lines in my
readers.conf, but unauthenticated users are still allowed full
access. Does anyone have a readers.conf (and perhaps associated perl
script) that requires users to authenticate?

I'm also not sure how to make inn2 do ssl. There's the inn2-ssl
package which installs an nnrpd-ssl. I can just add it to inetd, but
the inn docs imply it's better to have innd starting it, and I don't
see how to make innd pass it -S.

thanks for any help
seph