Re: VA FullOn 2200 network install challenges

Danny O'Brien wrote:

I'm attempting to rebuild a VA FullOn 2200 web server with the Debian 3.0r1 "woody" release. To install, I pulled the machine off the DMZ, then returned it to the DMZ after installation was complete.

Although the installation was successful and the installer did see the network card (an onboard EtherExpress Pro 100, which worked perfectly under RH Linux) and I was allowed to assign IP, etc., now that I've plugged the box into its rightful place, it's not on the network. No ping, no nothing.

I've verified the network light on the port, good cabling and hub, so it's not hardware -- the box ran fine with all same previously. I've also compared the /etc/network/interfaces file with the file on another server on the DMZ and both are identical (except for unique IP).

I'm pretty sure that I chose the correct network card driver -- there are two "eepro" driver options in the Debian installer, and the installer rejected the first option but accepted the second, impying that the installer did see the NIC. I assigned IP appropriately at installation.

However, although the "interfaces" file displays the proper IP configuration for eth0, "ifconfig -a" shows no listing at all for eth0 -- it just shows the "lo" listing.

When installing Debian, does the box have to be physically connected to the network upon which it will reside? This sounds ridiculous, but I had to ask.

No, that's not necessary.

If you have a Knoppix CD (and you have DHCP working on that segment), you might try it to make sure the hardware/network plays nice with each other (to verify the problem is in Debian, not elsewhere).

I assume you either rebooted the box, or restarted the network? If not, try:
   /etc/init.d/networking stop
   /etc/init.d/networking start
and then see what the result of "ifconfig" is.

You might want to post the contents of interfaces (feel free to obscure the actual numbers if you want).

--
Kent