Re: Versions

Pedro Hernandez <phph109@yahoo.es> writes:

>  --- Rus Foster <rghf@fsck.me.uk> escribió: > On Thu, 22 Jan 2004,
> Pedro >
>> Debian stable aims for well, stability so the old packages are
>> known to be secure and work. If you want newer versions have a look
>> at things
> Ok. I can buy that. How does things work with versions that are known
> to have security issues? Postfix 1.11 as well as 1.12 are known to have
> security "flaws", are the debian version patched for those but still
> keep version 1.11?

In general, Debian prefers to port fixes to older versions rather than
push a new release, with new unknown bugs, on to unsuspecting "stable"
users.  If you look at the package's Debian changelog (generally
/usr/share/doc/packagename/changelog.Debian.gz), it should include
backported security fixes.

>> like apt-get.org and backports.org
> Thanks, but secure and stable is what I am looking for right now, so
> woody-stable might be the solution.

(Within Debian there are also two other branches: "unstable" is the
branch developers upload to directly and always has the most
bleeding-edge software, sort of; after some time in unstable without a
serious bug appearing, software automatically migrates from unstable
to another branch, "testing".  So in theory testing is the working
parts of unstable from a couple of weeks ago.  Starting with stable is
definitely a good way to go, though.)

	-- Abra Mitchell