Re: devnagari fonts in mails

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:

> hello all
>
> here is the situation.
>
> from my windows machine i send mails home. at home i run debian 3.0 and
> use exim - fetchmail - mutt combination for mail.
>
> all these mails have to be in english as i do not know how to send mails
> in devnagari that mutt can read.
>
> but i would prefer to send mails in devnagari.
>
> is it too complicated a process? can it be done between a windows and
> linux machine?
>
> i know the questions are general. but could someone help me please?

It can be done but so far things are not too standardized.  The wave of
the future is unicode which is a character set that encodes all the worlds
languages included Indian ones.  If you have unicode fonts installed on
both windows and Linux, and applications that support unicode you can
write mails in Devanagari.

On the windows side, Microsoft have an "Indian language Pack" (or
somesuch, search www.microsoft.com) for Windows 2000 or higher.  On Linux
there is support in GNOME and KDE (but not in mutt afaik)  See
http://www.indlinux.org/ for more details.

Although I haven't really had the time to do serious work on it, I've
started a Debian-IN project to try and get better support for Indian
languages into our favorite OS.  At http://debian-in.alioth.debian.org,
you can download the initial stage of the work, a .deb containg some free
fonts for various Indian languages.  If you would like to help the project
out it would be greatly appreciated.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>