Re: Release Management and Configuration Support

Antonio Rodriguez <arodriguez31@cfl.rr.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 03:49:59PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:10:49AM -0500, Timothy M. Spear wrote:
>> > 	If I choose to install the current Sarge Release, when Sarge
>> > becomes the stable release, how do I change the apt-get functionality
>> > to query the stable instead of the unstable servers? I have looked for
>> > and not found documentation on this.
>>
>> Refer to the distribution as "sarge" rather than "testing".
>
> You will need to change the wording in /etc/apt/sources.list to reflect
> the name change.

Right, but if you change it to 'sarge', you'll get testing until Sarge
releases, at which point you'll have stable.

After release -->  potato  woody   sarge   sarge+1
vvv APT tag vvv    vvvvvv Release codename vvvvv
potato             potato  potato  potato  potato
woody              woody   woody   woody   woody
sarge                      sarge   sarge   sarge
stable             potato  woody   sarge   sarge+1
testing            woody   sarge   sarge+1 sarge+2
unstable           sid     sid     sid     sid
sid                sid     sid     sid     sid

That is, you can use a release codename directly, and stay at that
release forever (even when that release actually happens, and after
the next release happens).  Or you can use a label like 'stable' for
the current release or 'testing' for the next release.  'unstable' and
'sid' are the same thing, and is the area developers upload packages
into directly; it will never get released directly, but packages from
unstable trickle into testing.

	-- Abra Mitchell