Newbie needs help

Hi!
Well, today I've installed Sarge and finally all went OK (it was the third time I tryed it). But I have a problem:

GNOME 2.4 does not work.
I use GDM and when I selectioned session GNOME and my user name and password it didn't work, it says that did not find gnome-session. I went to debian website and I downloaded the gnome session. Then I went to gdm, put GNOME, my user name and password and it says:

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The last error message was:

Failed to activate 'OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon'

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon netx time you log in.