Re: wireless router

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 09:11:04PM -0800, David wrote:
> Any reccomendations for wireless router hardware.  Went to Costco today
> and they had both D-link router+wireless card (802.11g) as well as a
> netgear package.  Both packages advertised being compatible with linux.
>
> Any input/advice/opinion on this?
>
> Thanks!

D-link as well as some of the other manufactures usually end up buying some of the same
hardware usually made by one or two companies, and putting their name on it.
I have owned a Linksys, SMC and others.
The Linksys I bought was the common model and had nothing but problems, the SMC I had lasted
about two years, but would drop connections once in a while.

I ended up getting a Zyxel Zywall with 80211.b support, and I would suggest them to anyone.
They have good support you can even buy them online, mine came with a two year warranty, and
has been rock steady. If your looking for say 80211.g or 80211.a I think they have a basic
model out that supports it. They cater to more of the business side of things, but after my
bad experience with the Linksys, I will not buy another consumer wireless product.

Also some motherboard manufactures are starting to sell 80211.x hardware that will do some
pretty cool stuff. Check the normal good hardware sites for more information, but I do not
know how compatable they are with Linux.

Just make sure the Wireless cards are Linux compatable, and have drivers for them.
The wireless howto's will show lots of information about what to get and how to set it up,
www.tldp.org will list some of them.