OT: TV ruines our life [Was: Programs with colourful, moving, images???]

Nonono!  Not another OT thread!  Not this week... OK, why not ;-)

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 03:47:47PM -0500, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 08:09:47PM +0100, Jan Minar wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 06:15:49PM +0100, Iwan van der Kleyn wrote:
> > > My three month old daughter loves to watch glxgears running maximized on
> > > one of my monitors while I work at the other. The big, revolving and
> >
> > Won't this ruin her vision?  My sister wouldn't allow her 8-months-old
> > to watch TV -- or is this just another urban legend?
> >
> tv is another matter, according to vance packard (already in the 60-ies)
> the average 18 year-old american has seen a whole year of commercials,

It's probably more by now.  But here in .cz, we suffer more from poor
dubbing and delayed premieres.

> which is equivalent to 4 years in 72. So, if you have about 72 dollars
> only to spend for all your life, would you mindlessly throw through the
> window 4 of them? I think your sister is very wise.

That would make for a good happening ;-)  Despite of what certain
people might like to acknowledge, there's more to the commercials than a
waste of time and money.  The Coca-Cola culture wasn't named like that
for no reason.  And there's certainly more to the series.

% for a in the-west-wing-*.torrent; do btdownloadheadless "$a"; done ;-)
% echo "Jerry Springer for President!" | mail -s JS\ rules allmyfriends

Compared with the time you allocate for sleep, food, sex, dressing,
showering, shopping, transport, listening to musak, etc., these
statistics don't look so frightening.  It's the whole of your life that
is/isn't worth living, not a single statistical datum.

--
Jan Minar                   "Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed." x 9