Re: ethernet not working right

> Sorry if their just typos but should ext0 be eth0?
> --
> Cheers,
> rinmak <rinmak@technine.org>

Ryan,

No need for apologies; it was late and part of the problem seems to be
that I was typing ext0 (which should be eth0 as you pointed out.)
However, even with eth0, dhclient is still not giving me an ip
address.  I tried it on my school's network and my own home network.
As before,

#modprobe natsemi

lspci recognizes the card.  But then,

#ifconfig eth0 up

gives me

eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such
device

#ifup eth0

gives me the same.

#dhclient

gives me

eth0: autonegotiation did not complete in 4000 usec.
eth0: link up.

Afterward eth0 appears under #ifconfig but it has no ip address.

#dhclient eth0

also gives me

eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such
device

I found an old posting from another user elsewhere on the internet
(Lars Unin, SUBJECT: configuring DHCLIENT-2.2.x, Google Group:
linux.debian.user, July 19, 2003) who had similar problems with a
different ethernet card.  Nobody could figure out what was wrong and
someone suggested the card was not interacting correctly with the
kernel.  At linux-laptop.net a user with the exact same computer
configured their ethernet card with:

>> edit /etc/network/interfaces
>>
>> iface eth0 inet static
>>   address 192.168.0.2
>>   netmask 255.255.255.0
>>
>> # modprobe natsemi
>> # ifup eth0

See http://www.worldofjon.com/artze4560us.html  Working from their
home network, this user seems to have had no problem, but clearly this
kind of setup does not require the user to use dhclient to request an
ip address, which seems to be where the problem occurs.

I tried putting "natsemi" in the /etc/modules file so that the driver
would load up when I startup the computer.  This turned out to be a
foolish thing to do because now the computer freezes when I start it
up, which is consistent with what the user from linux-laptop.net
wrote:

>> Note: If you put "auto eth0" in the interfaces and let system do
>> it at boot up it may lock up due to IRQ conflict with pcmcia.

Finally, my ethernet card is the National Semiconductor Corporation
DP83815.  I have just found an updated driver at
http://www.national.com/appinfo/networks/0,1804,829,00.html
I'm going to try reinstalling Debian, downloading this driver with my
housemate's Windows machine, burning it to cd, mounting the cd on my
laptop, and then rebuilding my kernel with the appropriate driver.  If
you have any thoughts on easier ways to fix the problem, PLEASE LET ME
KNOW as this is clearly a lot of work.

Thanx a million,
Forest