Re: AX25 PROBLEMS

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 06:37 am, Cristiano Tavares - SP wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I'm having problems trying to setup my ax25 hardware in my Debian
> system. I know that the module for my TNC is included in the kernel.
> I can't communicate with it with minicom.
> The minicom program is configured to use the serial port (COM1) ttyS0
> and the baud rate is correct but it still doesn't work. Can somebody
> Pleeeeeeaaaase help me?
>
> Thanks.

I think you're missing how the Linux kernel handles AX.25 devices.  The
Linux kernel sets up an AX.25 device as a network device, similar to your
ethernet port.

Just like you can't connect to an ethernet port with minicom (which is a
serial terminal emulator, you can not connect to an AX.25 port with
minicom -- you're mixing up technologies.

You can use minicom or similar to test the serial port to talk directly to
your TNC, but once you fire up an AX.25 module that's properly configured
it talks to the TNC for you.

From that point on, you have to use software that is "network aware" and
written to take advantage of this powerful tool, like aprsd, etc.

You may want to stop by the debian-hams list for more help with AX.25
setup.

--
Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com - WY0X