Re: Documentation and Usability

Pigeon <jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk> writes:

>>>But the "visible output" from the Windoze communities is of much
>>>lower quality. Googling for an answer to some Windoze problem rarely
>>>turns up much in the way of a useful result. With Linux, you tend to
>>>get more results than you can shake a stick at...
>>
>>This seems to be partly due to the nature of issues' contexts.

[...]
>All very true. But there is also the fact that you can't get in touch
>with the developers and maintainers, or if you can, much of their
>knowledge is locked away behind "commercial confidentiality" and the
>like.

Indeed. Even more, ever seen any of those "$PLATFORM-rumors" sites? I
once heard an argument like this: "XYZ is so cool, it even has a rumor
site devoted to it!".

I found it very sad compared to the kind of interaction you can have,
with the owners of the very fingers who wrote the software you're
using. That's what the users can do when they're only spectators, I
guess...

--
Cristian Gutierrez			http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~crgutier
crgutier[@]dcc.uchile.cl                        Jabber:crgutier@jabber.org