Re: ide-scsi error - sr0: CDROM not ready?

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:15:17PM +0300, Alphonse Ogulla wrote:
> On Monday 19 January 2004 18:13, Alphonse Ogulla wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I recently got a BenQ 48X48x24x16 ATAPI CD-R/RW/DVD combo drive and managed
> > to get it working with Debian GNU/Linux and custom kernel 2.4.24 using the
> > generic scsi library. I think its working because at least it created an
> > audio cd out of a blank cd-rw which apparently can't be read by my hifi
> > music system even after fixating twice.
> >
> > However I get this very annoying scsi error on all 12 virtual consoles
> > telling me CDROM is not ready when I have not even made an attempt to
> > access the drive.
> >
> > 	sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disk in the drive.
> >
> > The above error message is repeated over and over in all virtual consoles I
> > swich to thus giving me no space to type any command or do any useful work.
> >
> > Grateful if someone can save the situation and show me how to stop sr0 from
> > taking over my PC.
>
> Ah! Just realised that the error bombardment is set off immediately after
> starting X (kde 3.15). I have no X applications trying to access /dev/cdrom
> which now points to /dev/scd0. Still can't figure out the connection between
> X and ide-scsi. Any ideas?
>
> --
>
> Alphonse Ogulla
> Nairobi, Kenya

You might want to look at your log files, and dmesg, it seems like you might have fstab or a
/dev setup a little wrong.  You also might want to check out if ide-scsi is active with
cdrecord -scanbus as root.  Also did you check out the CD-Writing howto, it might be you have a
missing module, or something. Check the howto and do a lsmod to make sure the modules are loaded.
Make sure you pass the proper ide-scsi line to your kernel in lilo, or grub.

Also a lot of stereos are not able to read cdrw's try again with a cdr and see what comes up.
Are you able to play the cd on your system, if so it probably works. Also maybe another module
like ide-cd is being loaded before ide-scsi.  I had this problem a few days ago check out the
thread on ide-scsi not booting for a good answer.

Rthoreau