ide-scsi error - sr0: CDROM not ready?

Hi,
I recently got a BenQ 48X48x24x16 ATAPI CD-R/RW/DVD combo drive and managed to
get it working with Debian GNU/Linux and custom kernel 2.4.24 using the
generic scsi library. I think its working because at least it created an
audio cd out of a blank cd-rw which apparently can't be read by my hifi music
system even after fixating twice.

However I get this very annoying scsi error on all 12 virtual consoles telling
me CDROM is not ready when I have not even made an attempt to access the
drive.

	sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disk in the drive.

The above error message is repeated over and over in all virtual consoles I
swich to thus giving me no space to type any command or do any useful work.

Grateful if someone can save the situation and show me how to stop sr0 from
taking over my PC.

--

Alphonse Ogulla
Nairobi, Kenya