Problem with Ethernet card : Kernel Version mismatch

Hi,
Etthernet card : Intel Pro 100 VE card.

Have debian woody r2. Installed using bf2.4 during installation, i.e kernel
2.4.

I downloaded the ethernet drivers from the Intel site and compiled them.
When I try to insert the module, I get kernel version mismatch: Module was
compiled for 2.4.18 but the current kernel version is 2.4.18-bf2.4

If I do insmod -f e100.0,  it works with warning. After that, on doing
ifconfig eth0 netmask netmaskIP ipaddress,
it comes up.

With ifup and ifdown, I get the error message: unknown interface eth0

I am not able to do modprobe without gettin kernel version mismatch error.

What do I do? I am new to Debian.

Thanks,
Sanjay