Re: console font size

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 02:13:24PM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 04:36:23PM +0800, Ryan Mackay wrote:
> > Sometime near Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 09:51:18AM +0100, konf wrote:
> > > hello,
> > > when i boot my debian box [no X windows installed) i see too big
> > > console fonts.how could i reduce font size ?
> > > thanks in advance
> > >

> > At the lilo boot: prompt Find out the name of your Linux kernel image
> > (Linux by default) then to boot into a 1024x768 ultra sexy frame buffer
> > mode enter Linux vga=0x317
> >
> > eg
> >
> > 	LILO Boot Menu
> >         --------------
> >         -> Linux
> > 	   Windows :P
> >
> > boot: Linux vga=0x317
> >

> > If this works fine then add the line vga=0x317 to /etc/lilo.conf and run
> > the command `lilo` as root. Should be a permanent thing then :)
>
> That will require frame buffer support compiled into the kernel, and
> will give you the best quality if you have it.
> Another options is to try vga=ask and play around with the text
> modes. There is more chance that that is compiled in. Will give lower
> quality but its better then nothing.

You could also try svgatextmode, which doesn't require framebuffer or
playing around with things at boot. Unfortunately the author seems to have
given up on it some time ago so it mostly only supports older graphics
cards. But perhaps if you haven't installed X you have a fairly old graphics
card anyway?

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons