Re: xfree86 + ati problem with 2.6.0 kernel

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004, at 19:20 +0100, Dr.-Ing. C. Hurschler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using an ATI Rage 129 Pro Graphics card with no problems with the
> 2.4.23 kernel and and xserver-xfree8 4.2.1-15.  I tried the same sith
> the 2.6.0 kernel and I get an error with the fbdevhw sub module of ati
> which is "unable to find a valid framebuffer device".  The complete
> log-file and lsmod can be seen below, I've also included XF86config.

You probably didn't enable the framebuffer support you need in the
kernel you built.

But I have never used the framebuffer device and it's very
easy to configure the X server not to use it. Run

   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

as root and when given the framebuffer prompt, tell it to not use it.

Otherwise I suppose you could just go into the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
configuration and change it manually by setting

   Option	"UseFBDev"		"true"

   Option	"UseFBDev"		"false"

--
scott c. linnenbringer	   |   sl@panix.com