Re: Recommended ISP's

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004, at 10:47 -0500, John Kerr Anderson wrote:

> We've been using SBC Yahoo Dsl, but were so outraged at their
> arrogance, poor quality service, and lack of support that we decided
> to cancel.  Can anyone recommend an ISP that is actually good?
>
> We're thinking of switching to charter cable internet, but rumour is
> they're partnered with Micro$oft.  Any recommendations???
>
> We would like something that is high-speed if possible such as
> DSL/cable, we live in mid-Michigan.

SBC and Charter both service my area, St. Louis.

I get connectivity from Charter, but I use a different ISP for actual
services such as mail, news and a conveinient shell. Charter in St.
Louis has been excellent; barring one problem which their support
immediately recognized and came out to my neighborhood to repair, I have
never had any noticable downtime and the connectivity has been superior.

I believe they outsource their news, mail and web hosting services from
Earthlink, but as I don't use it for that, I can't comment on the
quality.

You might also consider talking to a group local in your area; I've
found that some St. Louis-area user groups can be helpful after sending
a quick mail to their respective mailing-list.

--
scott c. linnenbringer	   |   sl@panix.com
http://www.moslug.org/~sl  |  sl@moslug.org