Re: disable ping

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:28:09 -0600,
Rick Weinbender <rwein@central-ph.k12.mo.us> wrote in message
<[🔎] 40081119.461267E8@central-ph.k12.mo.us>:

> Matthias Hentges wrote:

> > > Although I heard it's not considered polite...
> >
> > Well i guess blocking ICMP ping only might be ok.
> > Not that it adds any security :)
> > Well, it *might* confuse some 13yo script kiddies heh.
> >
> > But most people tend to block ICMP completely which breaks
> > ICMP error messages.
> >
> > And that is A Bad Thing.
> >

> > > man iptables
> >
> > man iptables is a start. However, firewalls/packet filters are
> > tricky to setup. You may want to search google for HowTos or use
> > smoothwall and the like.

> > > man netstat
> > > man nmap
> >
> > nmap localhost should tell you what's running on your box.
> > It would still be better to run nmap from an external box (ie scan
> > your box from the internet)
> >
> > HTH
> > --
> >
> > Matthias Hentges
> > Cologne / Germany

> Thanks everyone for the help.
> Sounds like disabling ping altogether is not wise.
> Basically, I'm trying to hide myself from port scanners and prevent
> any DoS attacks.
> I may check out smoothwall.

..I use ipcop.org, is a smoothwall fork with a lot of improvements, I
hear.  ;-)  Both needs its own box, I use a P90.  There is also
shorewall.net, and webmin has a gui for it, will do fine on say woody, I
last used shorewall on a thinkpad 760ED with RH7.3, on this I played
a little with " --reject-with icmp-host-unreachable".

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: