Re: Unacceptable HDD performance

Agreed. To the original poster, try using hdparm. You can use it to turn
on DMA to the device (which seems like the most obvious source of the
problem to me) by using `hdparm -d1 /dev/<device>`. If that doesn't fix
the problem, use hdparm to run a test on the hard drive, and also use it
to output the hard drive's current settings. Post 'em on the list then.

--
Stephen Touset <stephen@touset.org>