Re: Debian and Knoppix.

On Saturday 17 January 2004 00:15, Uwe Dippel wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:10:07 +0100, Bob Hentges wrote:
> > Yes, Knoppix will allow you, as far as I know, to use apt-get and all of
> > its features.
> >
> > Thought i don't know how it will behave if you try an apt-get
> > dist-upgrade, as their are some Knoppix-only packages, as for instance
> > knx-alsa.
>
> Very well. It behaves very well. Did it for KONOPPIX 19-11-03 and does
> everything as expected.

I did it on a Toshiba A35-S159.  I am writing a HOWTO but its not published
yet.

Here's a good Knoppix to HDD HOWTO (slow link, be patient):
http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=review-knoppix

After it's installed:
apt-get update
apt-get -u upgrade; use "D" to examine configuration file differences and
make informed decisions; if in doubt select "N" for no changes
restart Linux install

I found that I got a repeating message on console screen:
ttyS0: LSR safety check engaged!

Googling got this:
login as root,
"setserial /dev/ttyS0 autoconfig" stops message

After I was in and annoying message was stopped, I read /var/log/syslog
found the "brltty" found /dev/ttyS0 is not a tty and that the
TSI driver was giving up; sometimes this was followed by a
LSR safety check engaged! message

remove brltty (braille tty) with:apt-get remove brltty

restart

voila! no more repeating "LSR safety check engaged!" messages

My guess is that the winmodem in the laptop created this problem.

Good luck.
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)