Re: problem with dns/network

"Monique Y. Herman" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote in message news:<1eEI0-23J-27@gated-at.bofh.it>...
> On 2004-01-15, enantiomer penned:
> >
> > ----------------------resolv.conf ------------------------------------
> > search eggnog
> > nameserver 204.127.198.4
> > -----------------------end
> > resolv.conf---------------------------------
> >
> > As I understand it, search represents the local domain.. i couldn't
> > remember if that was what I named my local domain or not... is there a
> > way to check this?  Also, the nameserver is the same one that I use
> > for my other linux machine, which works just fine.  BTW, the machine
> > that isn't working well is a laptop with a pcmcia network card, if
> > that is relevant? I'm totally in the dark when it comes to linux
> > networking configurations. Anyone see anything wrong of have any
> > advise?  Thanks a million,
> >    Jon
> >

> What is eggnog?  A machine name?
I believe that eggnog is the nonsense name that I gave as the name of
my domain,  although I am not absolutely certain (is there anyway to
see what I have listed as my domain?).  the network configuration tool
put it in automatically i think.  I tried taking it out and it didn't
do anything, so I don't think that it is the issue...   I am using
mozilla 1.0 currently, could that be part of the problem?  I really
don't know what could be causing these delays.  Well, thanks.
  Enantiomer
btw, thanks for the info on how search works.