Re: Differences in RH Fedora coming from Debian

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 11:43:20PM -0500, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> > Actually, there is also a reason to teach 'vi' in classes like that.  We
> > all have our own personal preferences when it comes to editors, but the
> > reality still is that quite often when a system is half broken in single
> > user mode and one needs to edit this or that file to bring it back to life
> > 'vi' is the only editor available.  Believe me, I've been doing technical
> > support for quite a while and had to walk a few sysadmins through the
> > painful process of editing in file using 'vi' when they had absolutely no
> > knowledge of the tool.
>
> That really doesn't make sense. I mean if you use emacs, nano, etc, they
> should all also be available in single user mode. On my Debian box, vi is
> nvi (or sometimes vim) and it lives in /usr/bin. If something is screwy
> with my system and I can't run nano or emacs, I won't be able to run vi
> either. I would then be stuck with ed for editing.

Its not so much a screwy state as a minimal system such as a rescue
disk (which I don't think hadles vi but not sure), or the minimal
install, which does come with vi which is very light but not vim or
emacs.

Note the vi and vim are two different things. vim is similar to vi in
the basic interface but is much more advanced (and thus heavy).