Re: My system has Flashbacks?

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 11:20:09PM +0100, Jan Minar wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 02:52:31PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 01:39:40PM +0100, Jan Minar wrote:
> > > It's a feature.  The ATX PCs are mostly on, even when ``off'' (think
> > > standby), too.
> >
> > Which is a misfeature. Sometimes on a dual-boot system "ATX-off" isn't
> > enough to reset everything and you have to pull the plug to avoid it locking
> > up when booting the other OS.
>
> It should allow such things as waking up on network activity, etc.

True. But I would suggest that the majority of ATX boxes probably don't use
that functionality...

> You have malfunctioning HW/SW even without ATX :-(

Also true!

> > It can also result in damaged hardware if you
> > swap bits around without pulling the plug.
>
> Well, you just have to switch it off first... ;-)

Me, I do :-) But it's natural to think that "off" from the power button really
is "off", and it does no harm to repeat the warning...

> Every decent ATX
> power supply has a /real/ power switch.  It's at the back of the PC,
> usually.

Most ATX PSUs are indecent, though :-) Being happy with soldering irons and
big capacitors charged to 330V, I fit /real/ power switches on my boxes.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons