Re: My system has Flashbacks?

Christian Schnobrich wrote:

snip

coming up) the screen will, for a brief moment, SHOW ME THE VERY SAME
PICTURE as I had when the system halt occurred. This lasts only for the
fraction of a second, but long enough to be sure that it is the very
same webpage, or document, or whatever, I was staring at a few minutes
before, realising that I need to reboot.

I've had that too, only slightly different. Sometimes, after a normal shutdown of Win98SE, a "ghost" image of the background will appear after X starts, but before KDE. The background image has ONLY been used in Win.

The first time I thought it was me hallucinating, but I've had it
several times so far.

Me too.

snip

Not to mention the fact
that there are lots of different stuff being displayed before this
'ghost picture' makes it's reappearence.
Yep.

I actually wondered if this is something that could "possibly" be exploited someday down the road to keep something in memory, even after a reboot. It seems extremely unlikely, but remember the fiasco with network cards using stuff from memory instead of random bits in packets?

Just some odd thoughts,
    PaulM