HELP: new to debian 3.0

Hi,
I've just installed Debian 3.0...pretty much without a hitch.  Now I'm trying to get everything in working order.  There's a few things I'm unsure of:

1) upon installing the system, I set the clock time to GTM, rather than local time.  Now when it displays the time, it's -5 hours behind my local time.  How can I reconfigure this?

I've modified /etc/default/rcS, "UTC=no"...but that didn't fix it.

2) I have a scroll mouse...but the 'scrolling' part isn't working.

In looking in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, both InputDevices: Configured Mouse and Generic Mouse have the lines:
    Option    "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5"

3) the sound driver was either not installed, or not configured properly on
installation.  I get the error:
"error initializing sound driver:
  device /dev/dsp can't be opened (permission denied)"
...when logging in.

4) is there any way to shutdown/reboot the system while logged in as a user?  I'd rather not have to su to root everytime to power down.

Thanks in advance,
r o b

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.