Re: editors (was: Re: Differences in RH Fedora coming from Debian)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> What's your preferred choice?

I use both vim and XEmacs daily.  Been using vi/vim for 7+ years and
XEmacs for the last 14 months or so.  There was some annoyance for about
four or five weeks as I'd use vi commands in emacs and emacs commands in
vi.  I seem to have gotten past that now and use each without any
problems.

I like vi because it's quick to start and exit.  I use it for practically
everything from email to editing small shell and Perl scripts.  Emacs
takes too long to start up and I don't want to live inside of it like some
emacs users like to do.

However I do use XEmacs as my java IDE on Windows.  I don't mind the
startup cost there as I have it up and running for most of the day.

> I think he gives short shrift to vi in various ways ... like, he
> mentions that he's really talking about later versions of vi that have
> rc files and the like, but then he claims that there's no way to add to
> vi functionality without using C, because there's no built-in mini
> language.  The wide variety of apps I can pull from
> http://www.vim.org/scripts/index.php seem to belie this, unless I'm
> totally misunderstanding his point.

Yeah, he doesn't seem to be fully clued in to what vim is capable of now.
There are a lot fo great scripts to extend vim's functionality.  However,
I've found that installing a lot of these vim plugins will increase vim's
startup time, sometimes by a considerable amount.

--
Matt Perry | matt at primefactor dot com