Re: IDE-SCSI lost after boot up!

Hello

rthoreau@iwon.com (<rthoreau@iwon.com>) wrote:

> I am having a major problem with all my kernels, I am unable to boot
> with any SCSI detection?
>
> [ide-scsi does not work]
>
> Here is a copy of lsmod which lists all the proper devices for
> ide-scsi emulation.
>
> rcall@Raiz_mpx:~$ lsmod Module Size Used by Tainted: P
> sr_mod 14552 0 (autoclean) (unused)
> sg 33276 0 (autoclean) (unused)
> [...]
> ide-scsi 10448 0
> scsi_mod 97184 3 [sr_mod sg ide-scsi]
> [...]
> ide-cd 32224 0 (autoclean)
> cdrom 28960 0 (autoclean) [sr_mod ide-cd]

According to this, the ide-cd module is also loaded, and maybe has been
loaded before ide-scsi. If you use a module-only configuration
(ide-scsi and ide-cd as modules), you can do the following:

rmmod ide-cd
rmmod ide-scsi

modprobe ide-cd ignore=yourcdwriterhere
modprobe ide-scsi

If the ide-cd driver is loaded before ide-scsi, and nothing tells it
which devices to ignore, it will access all ide cdroms, and ide-scsi,
if loaded later, won't. If it does, configure some file in
/etc/modutils to contain the line

options ide-cd ignore=yourcdwriterhere

and run update-modules to ave your changes to /etc/modules.conf.

If it still doesn't work, give us more information, including:

the append line of your bootloader
the output of dmesg | grep command
the output of dmesg | grep ide-scsi
the output of dmesg | grep ide-cd
all lines from /etc/modules.conf regarding ide-cd and ide-scsi

> After doing some digging I did find a old copy of modules.conf and ,
> then copied the new copy to modules.conf.new then renamed the old
> conf to modules.conf.

Don't change /etc/modules.conf directly. Its content is generated by
update-modules from the files in /etc/modutils. Edit them instead. Or
create your own file in /etc/modutils.

> Whats really weird is cdrecord does work, but its cdrdao 1.1.7 that
> gives me problems.
>
> cdrecord gives me this by ide-cd module.
>
> rcall@Raiz_mpx:~$ cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a19
> (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jörg Schilling scsidev:
> 'ATAPI' devname: 'ATAPI' scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2 Warning:
> Using ATA Packet interface. Warning: The related libscg interface
> code is in pre alpha. Warning: There may be fatal problems. Using
> libscg version 'schily-0.7' scsibus0: 0,0,0 0) 'LITE-ON '
> 'LTR-32123S ' 'XS0X' Removable CD-ROM 0,1,0 1) 'LITEON ' 'CD-ROM
> LTN526 ' 'YH0X' Removable CD-ROM 0,2,0 2) * 0,3,0 3) * 0,4,0 4) *
> 0,5,0 5) * 0,6,0 6) * 0,7,0 7) *

Well, this seems to verify that all your drives are accessed by the
ide-cd driver. cdrecord has experimental support for writing without
ide-scsi emulation, but I never tried it and don't know if it is
reliable.

Also /maybe/ cdrdao does not work because it doesn't have permissions to
access the ide device files which belong to the disk group (at least,
if cdrdao isn't suid root). You could try to change ownership from
root.disk to root.cdrom for your cd writer device file (but _not_ for
your hard disk). And /don't/ add yourself to the disk group. However, I
thik the preferred way still is to use ide-scsi emulation, at least
with 2.4 Kernels.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--