Re: Hard Drive Problems

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:42:43 -0500, Brad Cramer wrote:

> I am running Sid with 2 matching 40gig drives. Everything has been running
> great until I get this message when going and apt-get upgrade:
> hdc: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdc: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=97055,
> sector=96984
> hdc is primary master on ide2
> here is output of hdparm:
> /dev/hdc:
>  multcount    = 16 (on)
>  IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
>  unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
>  using_dma    =  1 (on)
>  keepsettings =  0 (off)
>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>  readahead    =  8 (on)
>  geometry     = 4865/255/63, sectors = 78165360, start = 0
> It is formatted with ReiserFS and the problem seems to be /dev/hdc1 it is
> trying to write to /etc which is hdc1 and this is mounted as /
> Could this be a drive going bad or can I fix this with with some software
> programs? If it is a drive going bad what would be the best and easiest way
> to clone the drive onto another drive it will probably be a bigger drive. I
> have used Norton Ghost 2003 with Windows before but does it work with Linux
> and ReiserFS?
> Thanks for any help/
> Brad

It's a drive going bad, I suspect.  Use the drive as little as possible
and copy everything off it onto another drive or a backup medium *right
now*.. I suggest using "cp -ax' because some sectors may be unreadable,
which won't stop cp, but it will emit the names of files which it couldn't
copy, so you will then have a list of what needs restoring or fixing.

--

Programming without a hex editor is like watchmaking without a hammer.