Re: ping hostnames problem

Am Mit, 2004-01-14 um 20.32 schrieb Manestro Oliveira:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Debian 3.0 r2 and trying to ping to hostnames. The problem is
> that I can only ping to IPs

So your DNS is borked.

> . I modified /etc/resolv.conf to include more DNS
> servers from my network, the archive is saved but when I reopen it the
> modification is not there.

That would be because dhclient alters resolv.conf to match the DHCP
severs DNS entry.

>  Also, Iʼm using dhcp (client). After upgrading to
> dhcp3-client, I could make permanent changes in resolv.conf, but I still can
> only ping to IPs. How can it be solved, and why is that happening?

Looks like the DHCP-configured DNS is wrong?
--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody. Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice