2.4 won't recognize my keyboard?

I'm trying to install Debian on my new laptop and I want to install the 2.4 kernel so I can use reiserfs.    I'm installing from cd's that I ordered from debian.org for woody 3.0r2, i386 architecture.  The problem is that the 2.4 kernel doesn't seem to recognize my keyboard but the 2.2 kernel does.  My laptop's model is hp pavillion ze4560us and the product spefication says only that the keyboard is a standard keyboard with 88 keys.  Any thoughts on why the 2.4 kernel won't recognize my keyboard if the 2.2 kernel will/ways around this problem?

Forest