apt-get behind a linksys router/firewall

I just bought a linksys firewall and am not having an
unexpected error.  When I try to run apt-get I am not
able to download anything.  When I run I get this
massage after a minute:
  Data socket connect timed out
Failed to fetch
ftp://debian.pipcom.com/debian/debian/pool/main/a/aumix/aumix_2.8-6_i386.deb
 Data socket connect timed out

I also notice that I can't ftp outside the firewall
unless I specify passive mode.  So, it seems that
apt-get is trying to ftp using active mode.  However,
I thought that apt-get used passive mode by default.
Am I wrong about that?  How can I tell apt-get to use
passive mode for ftp transfers, I didn't find the
apt.conf man page to be very clear about this since it
seems that it assumes apt-get will run in passive
mode?  Or, is there something else wrong that I am missing?