Re: hard drive install

Gary Thibeault wrote:
Hello and thanks for the free download of Debian 3.0 r2. I'm a newbie who's interested in trying linux and I can't seem to find details on how to install the OS from the iso to the hard drive as I have no cd-rom. Can you help? ... thanks in advance...Gary

PS: If the info was in the lengthy installation instructions <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual> I suppose I'm too new to understand it. I learned that Red Hat's boot disk is capable of installing directly from an un-opened ISO on a Fat32 partition (ideal for me), so I'm sure Debian has something equal

It will take a few hours, but is educational. Read the network install
instructions on the debian site. Download the bf2.4 base system onto 25 floppies.
Starting from the first boot floppy, you can get a base debian system running.
After setting up the package source in /etc/apt/sources.list, you can apt-get
any debian package you want over the net.