Re: apt-get install zope fails

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 09:35:02AM -0200 or thereabouts, Joao Carlos de Lima Roscoe wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I've tried to install zope in my woody box and got the following:

> Setting up zope (2.6.2-6) ...
> update-alternatives: unknown option `--list'

[...]

> The install then hangs for a while, and proceeds. At the end, however,
> zope fails to start:

> Starting Zope instance default...
> failed: missing required path(/var/lib/zope/instance/default/access)
> Waiting instances in late: done.
> default: start: missing required path(/var/lib/zope/instance/default/access)
>

> Looks like old update-alternatives version. What do you think? If so,
> which package should I update?

FWIW, I never had any issues with Zope on Woody, ran quite good
actually. It's when I upgraded to Sarge that the Zope fun began, at least for me.

I don't think you're having a problem installing zope, because, it's
trying to start. What you're having is an issue with a default instance.
I had that issue as well when I upgraded from a working Zope in Woody, to
the one in Sarge.

Anyway, for creating the default instance for Zope, you need to as root
issue the following command: 'zopectl -a default' (follow the prompts) then
afterwards, 'zopectl start'.

In terms of the "update-alternatives", sorry I can't help there. But did
you try a search on Google with the error term? I find that often helps,
or even search the list archives for that term. HTH.

--
Stephen