Re: Silent boot hang with new kernel

Tomas Brunclik wrote:

> Hi,
> I installed new binary kernel using package
> kernel-image-2.6.0-1-686*.deb. I'm running Debian unstable. When I
> select the new kernel in lilo menu it shows this message:

> BIOS data check successful
>
> The message then disappears and I have nice clean black screen - no
> messages!. The only way to get out of it is to press the reset button.
> The other two kernels I have still work normal - after the disappearing
> of abovementioned message continues normal boot-up process with messages
> listing.
> During the installation of the kernel a message appeared, that it needs
> initrd configured in lilo, so I edited lilo.conf and added the line
> initrd=/initrd.img
> It is link to 4MB uncompressed /boot/initrd-<kernelversion>.img
> (untouched - as it came with the kernel package) - so I tried also to
> put direct path to this file and also tried comment out the initrd line.
> No difference.
> So maybe I still have some stupid bug in lilo.conf, or it may be
> something other - maybe: the /boot dir with all the kernels and initrd
> image is part of the 5 GB root partition -so may it be that some file is
> physically stored beyond some size border where it is unaccessible
> during the boot process?
>
> Thanks for any hints.
> Tomas IV.
>
> My lilo.conf (minus most comments):
> *************************************
> lba32
> boot=/dev/hda
> root=/dev/hda1
>
> bitmap=/usr/share/lilo/contrib/sid.bmp
> bmp-colors=1,,0,2,,0
> bmp-table=120p,173p,1,15,17
> bmp-timer=254p,432p,1,0,0
> install=/boot/boot-bmp.b
> #install=/boot/boot-menu.b
>
> map=/boot/map
> delay=20
>
> # message=/boot/bootmess.txt
> prompt
> timeout=150
> #vga=791
> vga=normal
>
> append="hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi apm=power-off nomce"
>
> default=Linux-suse
>
> image=/vmlinuz
> label=Linux-2.6
> initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.0-1-686
> #read-only
> #optional
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-xfs
> label=Linux
> read-only
> #restricted
> #alias=1
>
> image=/boot/suselinuz
> label=Linux-suse
> read-only
> append="hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi apm=power-off nomce"
> optional
> #restricted
> #alias=2
>
> # If you have another OS on this machine to boot...
> #
> # other=/dev/hda4
> #label=HURD
> [...]
I think the problem could be that the vesa-frambuffer driver isn't included
in the factory-default initrd-image.
Just add "vesfb" in the "/etc/mkinitrd/modules" file and execute as root
"mkinitrd -o <path and name of new initrd-image-file>".
Then put the path and name of the new initrd-image-file in lilo.conf.

Hope this helps

Johannes