Silent boot hang with new kernel

Hi,
I installed new binary kernel using package kernel-image-2.6.0-1-686*.deb. I'm running Debian unstable. When I select the new kernel in lilo menu it shows this message:

BIOS data check successful

The message then disappears and I have nice clean black screen - no messages!. The only way to get out of it is to press the reset button. The other two kernels I have still work normal - after the disappearing of abovementioned message continues normal boot-up process with messages listing. During the installation of the kernel a message appeared, that it needs initrd configured in lilo, so I edited lilo.conf and added the line initrd=/initrd.img It is link to 4MB uncompressed /boot/initrd-<kernelversion>.img (untouched - as it came with the kernel package) - so I tried also to put direct path to this file and also tried comment out the initrd line. No difference. So maybe I still have some stupid bug in lilo.conf, or it may be something other - maybe: the /boot dir with all the kernels and initrd image is part of the 5 GB root partition -so may it be that some file is physically stored beyond some size border where it is unaccessible during the boot process?

Thanks for any hints.
Tomas IV.

My lilo.conf (minus most comments):
*************************************
lba32
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda1

bitmap=/usr/share/lilo/contrib/sid.bmp
bmp-colors=1,,0,2,,0
bmp-table=120p,173p,1,15,17
bmp-timer=254p,432p,1,0,0
install=/boot/boot-bmp.b
#install=/boot/boot-menu.b

map=/boot/map
delay=20

# message=/boot/bootmess.txt
prompt
timeout=150
#vga=791
vga=normal

append="hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi apm=power-off nomce"

default=Linux-suse

image=/vmlinuz
	label=Linux-2.6
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.0-1-686
#	read-only
#	optional

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-xfs
	label=Linux
	read-only
#	restricted
#	alias=1

image=/boot/suselinuz
	label=Linux-suse
	read-only
	append="hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi apm=power-off nomce"
	optional
#	restricted
#	alias=2

# If you have another OS on this machine to boot...
#
# other=/dev/hda4
#	label=HURD
#	restricted