Re: Default profile settings in mozilla-thunderbird

Em Seg, 2004-01-12 às 23:56, Mike Fedyk escreveu:
> I'm using running thunderbird[1] debian testing, and noticed these[2]
> files in /etc, but they don't seem to affect my configuration.  For
> instance, there are references to ldap servers in [2], but prefs.js in
> my $home doesn't say anything until ldap until I added it manually.

	It shouldn't.  /etc is a base reference for configuration information,
and your ~/. files override what's in /etc, so that /etc still takes
effect if the ~/. files say nothing about that particular parameter.

> How do I set the defaults in a way that won't be overwritten on new
> upgrades, and will be followed by new thunderbird profiles created after
>   the changes?

	You are following the good way going for /etc, the problem here is
Mozilla itself.  Being ported from MS Windows, it doesn't quite know how
to behave itself in a multi-user system; perhaps Epiphany or Galeon
instead of Firebird, or Evolution or Balsa instead of Thunderbird, would
be easier to deal.

	In some installations of Mozilla 1.5 (don't know about Firebird or
Thunderbird) there is an Advanced Preference to force it to use global
configurations, meaning from /etc.  But I haven't yet discovered why it
is there for some users and for others not.  Scary.

	Oh for true native apps!  Even MS has dealt better with MS Office for
the Macintosh than this port of Mozilla for GNU/Linux!

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete Dutra <ldutra@prefeitura.sp.gov.br>
Prefeitura do Município de São Paulo