Re: hdparms question

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 13:29, David Baron wrote:
> My disk always come up with 16-bit access.
>
> Even after setting to 32-bit and also setting retain settings on reset, no
> avail!

Do you mean, you've always got 16bit upon reboot? No worries, that is
the normal behaviour.

The 'reset' hdparm means is something different: if the kernel believes
that something isn't quite alright, it will reset the IDE bus. Ideally,
this should never happen, but the 10-year-old hardware serving as my
intenet gateway does it all the time...
The hdparm setting may be sticky over these resets, but when the machine
itself reboots (cpu, chipset and all), all changes will be lost.

What you can do is add you hdparm command to the system startup scripts,
so it will be executed at boot time.
An excellent opportunity to learn what actually happens when the system
boots...
You may want to start reading here:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/From-PowerUp-To-Bash-Prompt-HOWTO-6.html

cu,