Re: OT: Why the net Sucks: Stonehenge

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Nano Nano wrote:

> Watching a program on PBS, I decided I wanted to read about Stonehenge.
> Off to google, I go, searching for "Stonehenge".  Didn't like the
> results.  Tried Google directory, Yahoo, and Teoma: didn't like any of
> them.
>
> The experience I wanted was a deep, rich, complete, authoritative,
> well-annotated, and well-accepted "Library-like" experience reading
> about Stonehenge: names of the best scholars, the names of the most
> influential histories and critiques on the subject, in short the sort of
> experience I would get at a University Library, only faster.
>
> The internet is nothing like that.  I am lucky in than San Jose has
> opened a San Jose State's University library to the public: even though
> it is not a world-class university, the quality of the knowledge
> available there *blows away* what I can find on the Internet.

Did you try:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonehenge

They tend to have decent links.

Then again, sometimes a public library is the best place to look.

If I wanted an overview of the English Civil War, weaving, or
anthropology, the local library will probably be one of the easiest ways
to find that information.

However, if I want the biography of Haruki Murakami[1], a study of the
Gilyak[2] language, or the latest PHP documentation[3], the web will
probably be faster and more in depth.

~ Jesse Meyer

[1] Japanese author.  Writes some rather unusual books.
[2] One of the few languages on earth that can't be traced to any other
	language.
[3] PHP has some rather good documentation on their homepage.
--
 icq:    34583382             | Nethack 3.4._3_ is out!  http://www.nethack.org
 jabber: dasunt@theoretic.com |  "And how can man die better / Than facing