Re: External USB HD enclosure?

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 07:44:20PM +0100, Thomas De Groote wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Could someone please tell me what I have to look for if I want to use
> an external USB HD enclosure with Debian? I was thinking of getting the
> Mentor one (http://www.bona.com.tw:8888/pc/ME-350UF.htm), using the USB
> on the linux and the FW on my mac. It will not be to boot with, only to
> carry data from univ to home and back.
>

> Thanks for all input,
>
> Thomas

Hi Thomas,
when I got my usb 1.0 3.5" hd drive or my digital camera,
I just plugged them in and set shows up in /var/log/messages
usb devices show up as scsi. Ususally /dev/sda1. I think I would install
the usbmgr and hotplug scripts and add an entry to /etc/fstab (if you
want an to type a few less characters). Dont know abot usb2 or FW but
with the newer kernels 2.4.2x or 2.6 it may be easier...
-Kev