Re: External USB HD enclosure?

On 2004-01-12, Thomas De Groote penned:
> Hey all,
>
> Could someone please tell me what I have to look for if I want to use
> an external USB HD enclosure with Debian? I was thinking of getting
> the Mentor one (http://www.bona.com.tw:8888/pc/ME-350UF.htm), using
> the USB on the linux and the FW on my mac. It will not be to boot
> with, only to carry data from univ to home and back.

I bought a generic USB enclosure and a regular ol' Maxtor drive from
Newegg.  Stuck the drive in the enclosure, plugged the enclosure into a
USB 2 card, and life was good.  I did have to enable usb2 support in the
kernel (ehci, I think?) to get the high speeds.

My enclosure doesn't have FW, since I didn't have a need for it, but I
don't see why this would make a huge difficult.

--
monique