turning off syntax highlighting for php-mode

How the heck do I turn off syntax highlighting for PHP-mode under
xemacs (I'm running debian unstable, xemacs21). Nothing seems to
work. I have font-lock disabled for every other mode, but not php.

Shouldn't:
(add-hook 'php-mode-user-hook 'turn-off-font-lock)

work?

M-x font-lock-mode
and
M-x turn-off-font-lock-mode

both work fine _after_ the file is loaded, but I'd rather not do that
every time I open a buffer.

All the doc on the web tells you how to turn it on, not off. Arrgh!

Thanks.

--

Paul Reavis                                      preavis@partnersoft.com
President