Re: Am I using my hard drives right?

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 11:42:20AM -0000, James Roberts wrote:

> /* OT I'm new to Debian (and Linux) , but (with respect) your comments on
> Win2K
> are not accurate. HDD performance and mode in Win2K depends on chipset and
> service pack - there is little point in loading Intel drivers for a SIS
> chipset. Your comments were somewhat true about the time of Win95. A new
> install with latest service pack will usually see optimal settings as
> default. */

I replied to this off-list, but the Win2k tweaks I'm talking about for
Intel are "Intel Chipset Identification Utility" and "Intel Application
Accelerator", formerly replacement IDE drivers for Win2k.  They are
still useful for WinXP but make a bigger difference in Win2k -- in
particular, not necessarily higher I/O throughput, but lower CPU
utilization.  Win2k forked in 1999 -- and service packs are bugfix only
-- how can it be optimal for chipsets released after that?

Via has its own stuff.  Servers with SCSI have their own issues.

We know return you to your regularly scheduled Linux.  Sorry to go OT,
but I couldn't let this misrepresntation of the facts stand.