Re: CD Burning problem

Stephen Liu(satimis@icare.com.hk) is reported to have said:
> Hi all folks,
>
> GNOME console
>
> I met following problem in burning CD
>
> # cdrecord dev=0,0,0 speed=12 blank=all -eject
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a24 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J?rg
> Schillin g
> scsidev: '0,0,0'
> scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
> cdrecord.mmap: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg0'. Cannot open
> SC SI driver.
> cdrecord.mmap: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
> r oot.
You have setup something incorrectly or not at all.

cdrecord asked you to run 'cdrecord -scanbus' as root to help you find
why your dev-0,0,0 is incorrect.  Did you?  What did it say that you
don't understand?
> cdrecord.mmap: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

This says your dev= argument is wrong and to find why to do 'cdrecord
dev=help'.  Did you do that?
> cdrecord.mmap: Also make sure that you have loaded the sg driver and the
> driver for
> cdrecord.mmap: SCSI hardware, eg. ide-scsi if you run IDE/ATAPI drives over
> cdrecord.mmap: ide-scsi emulation. For more information, install the
> cdrtools-do c
> cdrecord.mmap: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup
>
> However I could not locate 'README.ATAPI.setup'

Its not included in the cdrecord package but is on the developers web
site (Google search for cdrecord).  You should also do a google search
for CD-Writing-HOWTO.pdf.  That will help you.

If you follow the setup in CD-Writing-HOWTO.pdf AND read the cdrecord
manual page you should be ablr to get it going.

Did you configure /etc/cdrecord.conf?  If so, what does it contain?

> # locate README.ATAPI.setup
> # find / -name readme.atapi.setup
> all no printout
>
> cdrecord.mmap: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .
>
> # apt-cache search cdrecord.nmap
> No printouti
Because is isn't a package!  It is a file that cdrecord makes based on
your setup. locate cdrecord.nmap whould have shown you that a man page
for it existed.

When you read the Developers web page you will see this:
<Quote>
Personal support for cdrecord has been terminated!

This is not because I am a bad guy but because I am receiving far too
much mail that only wastes my time and prevents me from doing serious
work.  It seems that far too many people are antisocial and just too
lazy to read the documentation or are using an account that is set up
incorrectly.
</Quote>

I know how he feels.

Stephen RTFM!

Wayne

--
Every program has two purposes -- one for which it was written and
another for which it wasn't.