Re: 2.6 and /dev/dsp

Matthias Leopold wrote:
hi

i compiled 2.6.1 on my testing system from the sources from kernel.org. seems to work so far (alsa sound module is loaded fine) but there are (not unexpectedly) some issues with devices. i compiled devfs support into the kernel and started devfsd (like in 2.4.x). result: no /dev/dsp. next try was rebooting without starting devfsd, result: ls /dev/dsp works, artsd and xmms can't find it anyway. i use debians module-init-tools, of course, so there is a /etc/modprobe.devfs. i tried it with the default version of /etc/modprobe.conf and with one generated by generate-modprobe.conf, no difference. anyone knows what went wrong?

I had the same problem you have and solved it compiling the kernel with "OSS emulation".

Regards.

  Marcelo Ramos                        |     \/      __    |
  Debian Sid GNU/Linux 2.6.1           |            |_/    /
  Socio UYLUG Nro 125                  |                   \
  Linux registered user #118109        |____|\/|____|\______\